Monday, March 26, 2012

kumera & red lentil dip - a recipe


This is a knock off of a new Black Swan brand dip.  It was really tasty, so I used the ingredients list to formulate my own version of their kumera and red lentil dip.  This is great too and at a fraction of the price.  The texture is what takes it to the next level for me, so smooth and creamy.

Ingredients
1 large kumera (sweet potato), peeled and cubed
5 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
big splash of olive oil
1 cup red lentils
4 bay leaves
stock and/or salt and pepper
parmesan cheese, grated

Roast the kumera and garlic in the oil until soft and browned.
Boil the lentils in water with bay leaves until lentils are soft.
Drain any excess water from lentils and reserve.
Remove bay leaves.
Pass kumera and lentil mixtures together through a food mill.
Stir to blend.  Add some cooking water if needed to thin the mix.
Add seasoning and cheese to taste.  Stir well.

Serve warm or cold with crusty bread or crackers. 
With some added vegetables it makes a tasty light meal.

I use my second hand food mill (shown below)
food mill working magic on mashed potatoes












for processing soft foods into a paste or mash as it leaves no lumps and is easier to wash up than the food processor.  But use what ever you have, and really, a few lumps won't be an issue.

I'm spreading this dip on the kids lunch wraps tomorrow.  Easy and healthy!


What is your favorite easy real food dip?  I'd love it if you would share your recipe!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love it when you comment!!