Sunday, March 11, 2012

ginger syrup - a recipe



I was flicking around online today and came across several recipes for ginger drinks. 

I put two types of drink together today; a ginger syrup and a quick brewed ginger beer.  I would have started the fermented ginger beer but it takes about two weeks to get going and I wanted to finish something now!! 

The huge glass jar of ginger beer is sitting on the counter smelling lovely, waiting until tomorrow when I strain and bottle it.  I have just finished bottling the ginger syrup and it only took about 40min all up.  So easy.

I only have a pic of the final product but the method is really simple.

Ginger Syrup
1 knob of ginger (just what you see in the pic above)
800ml water
4c sugar
1c lime juice
Finely grate of chop ginger into saucepan. 
Add water and sugar. 
Bring to boil and simmer for about 20min. 
You could turn off the heat, close the lid and leave to sit overnight to really extract the flavour from the ginger.
But I strained the syrup through a cloth lined strainer into a jug.
Add the lime juice to taste.
Use a funnel to pour syrup into glass bottles.
Label and store in fridge for several weeks.

This syrup is great served with ice water like a cordial and I hear it is also good as a cocktail mixer, but I have yet to try a 'Dark and Stormy' with it.

This was so quick and easy to make, I don't know why I ever thought I needed to buy cordials in the past.  No artificial anythings in this and the sugar is not so bad when served to the kids as a treat.  And the ginger is so good for you.  How can you not make some??!!


How do you use ginger??



4 comments:

  1. Yum! Love ginger. :-) I recently discovered Moscow Mules...a great warm-weather cocktail using fresh lime juice, vodka, and ginger beer. I bet it would be amazing with homemade ginger syrup/beer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! Thanks for sharing this on Friday Food Flicks. I shared it on Facebook

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete

I love it when you comment!!