Well it has been some time coming but here is my list of green goals for 2012.
It follows on from my post on one word 365 - sustainable,
where I write about the things we have already done in our journey toward being
a sustainable family.
- make my own bread
- bake snack bars, biscuits and cakes twice a week, no store bought baked goods on a regular basis **
- reduce reliance on convenience frozen food items and replace with home made freezer meals
- stock up on home made, ready to eat freezer meals (well labeled)
- use slow cooker more **
- pre pack freezer meal bases for slow cooker like here.
- use less plastic in lunch bags, use plastic containers instead **
- reduce reliance on supermarket products; household cleaning, personal care **
- pack a lunch bag for everybody (including me!) every week day **
- preserve (bottle, freeze, dehydrate) excess garden produce and low cost local foods in season
- purchase an Excalibur dehydrator
- eat more fish, at least one planned meal per week
- eat more no-meat meals **
- menu plan through the holidays as well as through the school terms
- make water kefir, milk kefir and kombucha (gribork)
- try lacto fermenting to preserve foods **
- finish chicken shed and enclosure
- get chickens, for eggs and meat, before autumn
- develop our edible garden; increase varieties grown, expand land area, improve set out
- set up low maintanance watering system for garden
- set up worm farm again
- try using a shampoo bar for family hair cleansing **
- make own soap, deodorant and shampoo bars **
- stop chemical colouring my hair and investigate alternatives to cover? the greys **
- install double glazing and reclad house for thermal and sound insulation
- implement a financial budget with an aim to reducing spending overall
- hand make the majority of kids birthday and xmas gifts, pinterest board here
- purchase another menstrual cup **
- return to (almost) full time use of cloth nappies at home (I use Pea Pods)
This looks to be a big list, but lots of these things I have started or am doing already. (**)
I'll revisit this list from time to time this year and see how we are doing!!
What are your goals for this year??
Linking to Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways.