Saturday, February 11, 2012

apple butter - a recipe



Apple butter is delicious!  If you have not made it at home, you should, especially if you own a slow cooker.  Easy... and delicious!!  We think it will mainly be used for topping porridge, spreading on toast or being the bottom for fruit bottom yoghurt.  Either way, yummy.

What follows is not really a recipe as such, but a how-to guide.  It does depend on the size of your slow cooker and how tart and how jucy the apples are.  This is what I did.


Peel and core apples.  These are the first apples of the season off our trees!!
I used my fancy peeler that sucks to the bench.  I wind the handle and the apple is peeled and cored.  It cost me about $20 at a homewares store a few years ago now.
Place apples into crock pot.  Add about 1 cup of water, turn on high, cover with lid and leave for about an hour, until apples are mushy.  Add brown sugar to taste, a glob of butter (I used about 50g) and about 2Tb dutch cinnamon.  Leave lid off,  stirring every so often.  Keep cooking until reduced to a thick paste.



Bottle in clean, warm jars with a tight fitting lid.   Make sure they seal well as they cool.



Apple butter should keep well for a couple of weeks in the fridge or if you want longer term storage you will need to process the jars in a water bath.  I didn't bother with this.





Hope you have fun making and eating apple butter. 
I know I did!!


Have you made apple butter?  How do you do it?



Linking to Frugal Days, Sustainable Ways and Sorta Crunchy's Green Resource. and Fat Tuesday
Check out the great ideas over there.

2 comments:

  1. Pear butter is also very good....I just add a bit of ground cloves in with the cinnamon and follow much the same process as you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to have a go at this recipe but was just wondering... roughly how many apples do you use?

    ReplyDelete

I love it when you comment!!